Saturday, March 23, 2013

Math Notebooks

     Literacy is obviously my first love in the classroom, but if you have noticed.... there are other things we must impart to the children. So, with that in mind, I have to make sure I keep a good attitude about Math. It isn't that  I don't like Math. I just don't love Math, and is that fair to the kiddos? Nope. Clearly. As much as I LOVE my Reader's and Writer's Notebooks, and with as many ideas as I have seen (read: borrowed/stolen) from Pinterest about Math Notebooks, I really had no excuse not to give them a shot this year. In the past, I had half-heartedly used three ring binders for the students with sections to hold their "stuff". B-O-R-I-N-G. So, I picked out some scrap book paper, wrapped up some journals, and off I went.
     If you have read my previous posts, you know everything else is in black and white (as far as their journals go), but I wanted these to be different. I chose this pattern because it was fairly neutral but also represented a shape (hello Geometry!.... stop laughing).
     I have a memory from 7th grade and Algebra. The teacher made us keep a three prong folder that held all of our assignments and required an extremely specific and orderly Table of Contents. I loved that folder. I loved using the ruler for the perfect lines, having everything spaced out just so on the page, the look of the full  page representing accomplishment..... OCD much? Notice this has nothing to do with the Math? Did I mention I don't love Math? Anyhoo... this is the one I have the students keep in their journals.
     I let them use this as a resource so I am very specific about how they title their entries. The actual entry ideas I either find on Pinterest or create myself based on student needs. Notes go on the left and foldables/models/drawings go on the right. My favorite is the fact fluency graph. Being in the 5th grade, my crew really needed to work on multiplication fact fluency to be able to tackle the higher level skills. This graph has helped them more than I could have EVER imagined. It is visual, keeps them accountable and competing against themselves, and provides me with data for IEP goals. Win-WIN! They actually request to do these fluency checks so they can add them to their graph. What?!


These graphs have also helped them learn and apply how to find their percentage based on the number they have correct. 
Here are some more pictures of entries and foldables. Like I said, Pinterest has more ideas than you would ever need. I have a million more pinned to my Math board if you want to check that out. 

  This was a lesson on coordinated pairs that included the negative numbers. The color coding helped tremendously. 




Greater than and less than with decimals


 Operations rules for decimals


 Equivalent Fractions and Decimal Models

 Factors and Improper Fractions

 Number Form and Mixed Numbers



 More Improper Fractions and Types of Numbers

The one above is an example of how I add their vocabulary to the notebooks. They write the word, define it, and then draw an example. I had initially thought I would keep the vocabulary in a separate section, but as I worked through it, it made more sense to keep it with the actual topic so they could find it easier. 

     Not bad for a first attempt at Math Notebooks. These pictures only represent a few months. As I mentioned, I started them later in the year. The potential though, is staggering. The kids LOVE them, I LOVE them, and let's face it.... it encourages us to almost love Math

     Happy weekend, friends! It is pouring rain outside so Mr. Wonderful and I are headed to the book store (AKA: Heaven). Now go read something!
Mrs. Beck
     

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Beck:
    Do you think you will be able to provide your fans with uploaded copies of your handouts?

    V. Hepburn

    ReplyDelete